Fort McPherson - Teet'lit Zheh (at the head of the waters)

Fort McPherson is located on the east bank of the Peel River 70 miles south of Inuvik. North-Wright Airways provides service to the community twice a year during freeze up and breakup when the Dempster Highway and the river ferries do not operate. The community was established in 1840 when the Hudson Bay Company set up a post. Twenty years later Father Grollier started an Anglican mission there and the RCMP followed building a detachment there in 1903. The RCMP regularly patrolled the Mackenzie Mountains between Fort McPherson and Dawson City. In 1911 Inspector Fitzgerald and three officers perished while on patrol and became known as the Lost Patrol. Many residents rely largely on hunting, trapping and fishing. This is also home of the Fort McPherson Tent and Canvas shop.

Click here for tour and package information

Aircraft

Aircraft